Being safe within the walls of your own home is something that everybody feels they have a right to. After all, it is the one place in the world where that should be the case. However, it is not always that danger comes at the hands of others. Sometimes it is something you might not even be aware of – until you start investigating. If you have just moved into a new home, there are a number of steps that you should take to ensure you safety. Some of these might have occurred to you, while others will be less obvious. Either way, there is no point in turning a blind eye to any potential issues. Let’s take a look at the main things you should be checking for in your new home. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
It is often the case, when you move into a new home, that the previous owner left you a secret mess in the form of bad pipes. This is so commonplace, in fact, as to be one of the major concerns that new homeowners have. It’s true – pipes are often burst, or leaking, and that leaves you with the damages bill. Before anything terrible happens, make sure you check the house’s plumbing. Ideally, you should get someone to look at the whole network. However, even just taking note of the main areas is better than nothing at all. The last thing you want is to wake up and find a puddle in the kitchen!
Radon is a naturally occurring gas, and it is to be found to some degree in most homes. Too much of it, however, can pose a serious risk to human and animal health. The problem we face here is that radon is odorless, colorless and impossible to detect with the proper equipment. When you move into a new home, it is a very good idea to check its radon levels. Anything above four picocuries per liter should be dealt with, as it could cause you some serious problems. For more information on how to check for radon, see http://www.explodedhome.com/radon-in-basements/.
In a similar vein to radon, carbon monoxide is undetectable without the proper equipment. As a result, you can easily end up getting seriously ill from it. When you are settling into a new place, it is wise to instal a carbon monoxide detector. These are very cheap to get hold of – and they might just save a life. It is also important to keep windows and doors open. Having a sealed house is like signing a death warrant if there is any carbon monoxide in the house. Again, it might be worth getting the professionals in to check before you get fully settled in. For more info, check out http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=21837.
Most parts of the developed world have pretty rigorous standards when it comes to electrics these days. However, that doesn’t mean that mistakes can’t happen, or that things can’t go wrong. Regardless of the age of your home, you should check the electrical supply, just in case. It should go without saying that you should not do this yourself. For electrical matters, always call in the professionals. They will be able to inform you in a short space of time if anything needs doing.